Monday, November 17, 2008

I was just thinking.....

Scurry huh? lol

I made a big salad for dinner last week and had to get Scott to stop in at the grocery on his way home for a few things. I asked him to pick up some radishes for our salad. I hardly ever use them, even though I like them.
I enjoyed them and have been munching on them off and on since the purchase.

I decided to look up the nutrition value on them to see what I was putting in the ole tank and was surprised at what wonderfull and healthy things these lil babies are.
Here is what I learned:

Radishes are rich in ascorbic acid, folic acid, and potassium. They are a good source of vitamin B6, riboflavin, magnesium, copper, and calcium. One cup of sliced red radish bulbs provides approximately 20 Calories or less, coming largely from carbohydrates, making radishes, relative to their size, a very filling food for their caloric value.



Radishes are a great source of vitamin C and are rich in minerals like sulphur, iron, and iodine. Daikon is even better, a source of vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, and folate as well as sulphur, iron, and iodine.

Radishes can be added to vegetable juice to spice up the flavor a little. In this form, they can help clear your sinus cavities and soothe your sore throat. The vitamin C in radishes is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, and has been shown to have a positive effect on asthma symptoms because of its anti-inflammatory properties. Potassium can help lower your risk of kidney stones and strokes, and radishes along a diet high in other fruits and vegetables can significantly lower your risk of multiple sclerosis.

Radishes are suggested as an alternative treatment for a variety of ailments including whooping cough, cancer, coughs, gastric discomfort, liver problems, constipation, dyspepsia, gallbladder problems, arthritis, gallstones, kidney stones[13] and intestinal parasites.[14]

5 comments:

Emmi said...

awesome. I had no idea they were so healthy. Thanks for the info.

Jeanne said...

That's alot of radish info!! Munch away!!

((hugs))
Jeanne

Heather said...

I love radishes! Whenever I buy them I go ahead and wash and slice them so that they're ready to top salads, munch on, whatever. Nothing beats fresh radishes from the garden...

thanks for sharing!
*hugs*
heather

Myra said...

I love radishes...but I'm the only one who likes 'em in salads...oh well, more for me! And healthy, too :)

Anonymous said...

I hate them they are bitter to me kinda like eating a onion are the partof the onion family? anyway sounds like you are doing great! keep up the good work Kat:)